Helpful Information

There are a lot of resources out there so be sure to do your research. Here is a list of the reliable information and resources you may need:

EOEA is the Commonwealth of Massachusetts state agency that certifies and oversees Assisted Living Residences (ALR) in Massachusetts. ALR’s must meet and maintain regulatory standards. The EOEA also operates the assisted living ombudsman program. The ombudsman program helps to resolve conflicts that arise between an ALR and its residents. To contact an assisted living ombudsman, you may call Elder Affairs at (617) 727-7750 or (800) AGE-INFO.

The Massachusetts Executive Office of Elder Affairs (EOEA)

DPH is the government agency that regulates, licenses and provides oversight of short term rehabilitation and long-term care skilled nursing facilities.

The Massachusetts Department of Public Health (DPH)

Provides information for Medicare or Medicaid services and oversees the quality of providers that accept those insurances.

Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services

ASAPs are private, non-profit agencies with governing boards that provide multiple services.

Aging Service Access Points (ASAP)

  • Protective Services
  • Information and Referrals
  • Intake and Assessment
  • Development and implementation of service plans
  • Interdisciplinary Case Management
  • Direct care services for those that qualify

The FEW is a MassHealth program that provides frail elders, aged 60 and older, access to the services and supports they need to live successfully in the community.

Frail Elder Waiver (FEW)

SHINE provides free health insurance information and counseling to all Massachusetts residents with Medicare and their caregivers. Other states may have similar organizations.

The SHINE (Serving the Health Insurance Needs of Everyone) Program

NCOA/MCOA is a nonprofit, membership association of the 350 municipal councils on aging and senior centers. Many councils on aging offer adult day programming, congregate meals, Meals on Wheels and other community supports. The Councils on Aging in each town are often good points of reference to begin to gather information or another way to get connected with the resources listed on this page.

The Council on Aging Association (NCOA) and its Massachusetts counterpart, the Massachusetts Councils on Aging (MCOA)

The veterans administration provides a special pension “Aid & Attendance” for veterans and their spouses, based on medical and financial need. The pension goes towards the cost for care in the home, nursing home care or an assisted living residence.

VA Aid and Attendance and Housebound Allowance

Free health care planning information and Massachusetts-specific documents to take charge of your end-of-life health care decisions and your personal health care plan.

Honoring Choices

More organizations that are very helpful in finding qualified professional services:

Scroll to Top

Stay in the know! Sign up for our monthly newsletter!

Connect with us on Social Media

Sign up for our newsletter, receive a free guide to understanding Massachusetts Senior Living Options

[ctct form="2326" show_title="false"]
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.